IN SEASON – JUNE TO SEPTEMBER
- You are invited to register for FOBH programs in early spring, with programs running from June to September.
- You are also invited to volunteer in-season by helping us with both on-site (fleet maintenance, buildings and grounds, sailing instruction, site supervision and program oversight) and off-site (special events, community relations, communications, institutional advancement and administration) activities.
- We open each season with our “Summer Solstice SAIL-abration,” a great early evening lobster/clambake party for all, with entertainment, activities for the kids, and plenty of meeting and greeting new friends and old.
- You are welcome to join us for a casual picnic as we close the season in early September.
- Most of all, you are welcome to stop by anytime to share in the inspiration and fun of seeing young sailors at the helm.
OUT OF SEASON – OCTOBER TO MAY
- All of the volunteer activity listed above continues out of season, but at a different pace. You are welcome to “jump in.”
- Save the date – the Sunday after Thanksgiving – for our annual “Christmas Boat Lighting” party with hot chocolate, hot apple cider and trays of seasonal snacks. Music, fun, and more.
- Sometime after Thanksgiving FOBH reaches out with our “Annual Appeal” in order to update information in our database, recruit new volunteers, and request financial support. This appeal is essential to keeping FOBH up and running .
- Each January the “Shark River Bay Awards Dinner” celebrates health and vitality of the Shark River Bay and those who live, work and play on, in and around it by:
- Recognizing with awards individuals from the public and private sectors who have provided outstanding leadership in promoting the Shark River Bay and its value as a recreational and environmental treasure;
- Raising funds to provide grants to Shark River Watershed and Bay-related science projects in area schools and to support the recreational and educational programs of FOBH and of nonprofits who support the event’s purpose, particularly the Shark River Cleanup Coalition (SRCC).
- You don’t have to be Irish to join us as we “sail our float” in the annual Belmar-Lake Como St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Check our website in January for FOBH parade participation details.